Sunday, March 2, 2008

My Worldly Visions

It's been so long since I've updated because I've been busy having two more kids. Well, sort of. I'm sponsoring two girls through World Vision. I've always been leery of charities but I checked them out through Charity Navigator and did some other Google research, and they seem pretty legit. However, if anyone has any legitimate information to the contrary, please let me know.

I thought it would be fun if Joshua had someone his own age so they could grow up together and hopefully I can instill in him some sense of obligation to take action in helping others, and to appreciate everything he has. I went on the World Vision web site and just input his birth date and hit search. This adorable little girl was the first one that came up, so she is now part of our family. I've received two letters so far, one from her volunteer in Brazil, and one from her mother. They live in a little house on the water so I sent her those arm floatie things. She probably knows how to swim but just in case.
This past Christmas I asked my 10-year-old niece, Arden, "What if instead of a Christmas present this year we sponsor a child?" She excitedly said, "Yes!" - exactly the response I was hoping for. I asked her if she had any preferences on age, sex, country, etc., and she said, "I don't care." So I did the same thing I did with Joshua; put in her birth date, but this time I also chose "girl" because having been a 10-year-old girl once myself, I knew it would be fun to have a girl pen pal to talk about all the things 10-year-old girls talk about. When this girl came up Arden said, "How do you say her name?" I said, "Uh, I think it's Vajayjay." She giggled and said, "It is not!" I said, "No, seriously. And she's your pen pal, so I'll pay for her but you're the one who needs to keep in touch with your Vajayjay." She said, "Eww, stop saying that!" Hopefully we'll hear from her soon and get to the bottom of this.

1 comment:

KMASubhani said...

It pronounced 'vee jay (Vijay) lucks me (Laxmi)', 'lucks me' should be said without pausing in the middle.